Monday, November 4, 2013

Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell

Title: Midnight City-A Conquered Earth Novel
Author: J. Barton Mitchell
Length: 384 pages
Publisher: Thomas Dunne Books
Classification: Science Fiction, Fantasy, Young Adult
Release Date: Reprint- October 30, 2012
Source: e-book
Lord of the Flies meets  War of the Worlds in  J. Barton Mitchell's  alien-invaded post-apocalyptic world  where  two teens and a youngc girl with amazing powers must stop the aliens’ mysterious plan

Earth has been conquered by an alien race known as the Assembly. The human adult population is gone, having succumbed to the Tone---a powerful, telepathic super-signal broadcast across the planet that reduces them to a state of complete subservience. But the Tone has one critical flaw. It only affects the population once they reach their early twenties, which means that there is one group left to resist: Children.
Holt Hawkins is a bounty hunter, and his current target is Mira Toombs, an infamous treasure seeker with a price on her head. It’s not long before Holt bags his prey, but their instant connection isn’t something he bargained for. Neither is the Assembly ship that crash-lands near them shortly after. Venturing inside, Holt finds a young girl who remembers nothing except her name: Zoey.
As the three make their way to the cavernous metropolis of Midnight City, they encounter young freedom fighters, mutants, otherworldly artifacts, pirates, feuding alien armies, and the amazing powers that Zoey is beginning to exhibit. Powers that suggest she, as impossible as it seems, may just be the key to stopping the Assembly once and for all. 
Midnight City is the breathtaking first book of the Conquered Earth series. 




I really enjoyed reading it and I am looking forward to reading the next book.


Midnight City is the first book in the Conquered Earth Series by J. Barton Mitchell. I found out about this book through Goodreads. There was a drawing to win a copy of this book and a drawing to win an ARC of  his second Conquered Earth book, The Severed Tower. I entered both drawings and won a copy of the second book.
So of course I bought the first book. I will not read and review a book out of order!

So I bought a copy of Midnight City on my Kindle, so I would have a good introduction to the world before reading and reviewing my First Reads book.


I REALLY enjoyed this book! It was action packed! Just starting reading the book, and there was already an action scene.

I really like how well Mr. Mitchell developed his characters. I was able to feel like I could relate to them in some way and I empathized with them.

I read this book in a few days, but it wasn't because I wanted to drag out reading it. In fact there were many places where I didn't want to put it down. But due to other parts of life I couldn't devour the entire book in one sitting.

This story is about an alien invasion that pretty much takes over Earth. The aliens land and release The Tone onto the citizens. The Tone seems to immediately take effect on most of the people. Now there are not really many adults over the age of twenty or twenty-one left.

I'm going to be honest and at the beginning I was getting a little confused by all of the different terms that he used to describe people and everything.


I really don't think I am giving too much of the story away, but here it is in case I am.


Possible Spoilers: Click button to view 
 

This book is packed with action.

The ending did feel a little rushed, and I still had a lot of questions. So I am glad that I am able to go ahead and start reading The Severed Tower today!


I do recommend reading this book. I enjoyed it.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3