Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Of Poseidon by Anna Banks


Title: Of Poseidon 
(Syrena Legacy #1)
Author: Anna Banks
Length: 384 pages
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Classification: Young Adult, Fantasy, Mermaid, Paranormal
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Source: e-book
Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen—literally, ouch!—both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom... 


I really enjoyed this book. I haven't read many mermaid books, but I am really interested in reading more.
I first came across this book on Marissa Meyer's post here. She really liked Of Triton, so I added the series to my Want to Read list on GoodReads, so I would remember to read it eventually.

Then Fierce Reads had a read along on Twitter. So OF COURSE, I had to participate. I bought the e-book and read it.

And I am glad that I did.

Overall, I found the book to be fun story, full of humor. I really LOVED the humor. There were several instances that I laughed aloud.

Then as I was reading, I came across Baytowne. And I got so excited! The book was taking place in Destin, FL. Which is a place in North West Florida. A place that I have been to several times. (Well, I have only been to Baytowne once and I didn't stay there, it was just for the day).

So then I decided I had to look up the author...and yep, she also lives in North West Florida.

Which made me pretty excited.

I am hoping that my excitement about a "local" author doesn't change the way that I feel about the book, but in case it did, you now know.

I was only a little disappointed when I found out that only part of the book took place in Destin. The rest takes place in Jersey Shore. But it was still exciting to read about a place that you have been to before. (I think this is my second book that I have read that includes a place I have been to a lot.)

This story is told from two POV, Emma and Galen. I enjoy reading books that have the points of view of both the main characters. It makes me feel like I am not missing what is happening to the other character when they aren't together.

I liked Emma. I enjoyed reading about her journey to finding out more about herself. I liked that she would stand up for what she believed in.

I really enjoyed the characters. I like Rayna and her curiosity of the human world. I love Toraf and tend to find him pretty funny. Grom and his story line interested me a lot. And Rachel is so funny.

I did feel that I was able to easily predict a few things that happened in the story. But I also think that the author did a good job of making me doubt myself. Making me think that maybe I had it wrong.

Overall, I enjoyed the Syrena lore that the author developed. I found it interesting and loved reading about it. There were a few things that I think are easily predictable, and even the cliffhanger at the VERY end of the story didn't surprise me, but it did make me want to still know what was going to happen next. (In fact I pretty much immediately bought the next e-book!)

I also really liked that the author was able to confuse me (in a good way) about something that I guessed. She made me second guess myself and think that maybe my predictions were wrong the whole time.

I found this to be a fun, quick, easy read for me. And I do think it is one that I would read again.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3