Sunday, June 1, 2014

May Highlights


I just cannot believe that May is already over! It feels like it was just the beginning of May yesterday. Cutie Pie is now out of school for the summer, so my personal reading time is going to be taking a cut. (Which I don't mind since I get to spend time with my lovely daughters). But hopefully it will give us some more time to get some more Cutie Pie's Shelf (children's book reviews) done.



Also, if you are a parent and aren't already aware, Barnes & Noble has a Summer Reading program where kids can read and record 8 books (they have a printable sheet to fill out on their website) and bring it in to participating B&N stores, they can earn a free book (from a selected list). Which is pretty awesome. Cutie Pie is really excited that we are doing this. You can find all the info here!

She will also be participating in Scholastic's Summer Reading program. Encouraging children to read at least 15 minutes a day. You do have to sign up and create an account. But it lets you input how many minutes you read each day. It tracks it, and you can unlock badges and stuff. Which is pretty neat. Also, some schools are participating, so you can link it to your child's school (if available). You can find that info here.

You can also check your local library, mine is having a summer reading program as well.

Also in other news, I have decided to keep the current Which One? Poll: Friends vs. The Big Bang Theory  open for a while longer. So if you haven't voted, you still can. :)

Books Completed:
  1. Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch (Mostly read at the end of April but the last 75 pages were read in May.)
  2. REBOOT by Amy Tintera
  3. Dirty Little Secrets by Jennifer Echols
  4. The Selection by Kiera Cass (reread)
  5. The Elite by Kiera Cass (reread)
  6. The Collector by Victoria Scott
  7. Of Neptune by Anna Banks
  8. The One by Kiera Cass
  9. The Liberator by Victoria Scott
  10. Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne
  11. Getting by (A Knight's Tale #1) by Claudia Y. Burgoa
  12. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
  13. Landline by Rainbow Rowell
  14. Attachments by Rainbow Rowell
  15. The Art of Lainey by Paula Stokes

Challenge Updates:


2014 Series Challenge:
Complete Series = 5

Started this month:
The Dante Walker Trilogy by Victoria Scott
Monument 14 Trilogy by Emmy Laybourne
Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas

Finished this month:
The Syrena Legacy Trilogy by Anna Banks
The Selection Trilogy by Kiera Cass

2014: Dystopia Challenge:

Completed = 17

14. The Selection by Kiera Cass (reread)
15. The Elite by Kiera Cass (reread)
16. The One by Kiera Cass
17. Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne (I guess more Survival/Post Apocalyptic) but I still think it counts.

2014 Reading Retellings Challenge

Completed= 2

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

2014 Summer Reading Challenge

My Goal: 30 Books

Completed = 14



Other Highlights I'm Excited About:
  • I went to Anna Banks' book signing for Of Neptune! It was so exciting getting to meet her. And I was able to get my book the night before it hit stores, which was awesome. I pretty much immediately started reading it when I got home. It was so much fun talking to her. And I tried really hard not to be too shy (but I totally was. I think I am really socially awkward. But at least I spelled my name right!) She is so nice. And I got a Team Galen pin. 
  • I met Lynne Matson (author of NIL) at Barnes and Noble. She signed my book, a poster, and a bookmark for me. She is so nice and it was awesome getting to meet her! I am so glad I was able to meet her!
  • I participated in Armchair BEA this year and it was a lot of fun. I'm still jealous and sad that I didn't get to go to BEA but participating was awesome. I got to visit new blogs and share some thoughts and ideas that I have. And I appreciate that so many visited (started following) and commented on my blog. It makes me SO HAPPY! I also enjoyed participating in the Twitter parties (although I couldn't do many). And I won a prize, which is awesome. Thank you so much to all the bloggers that run and host Armchair BEA, it is a wonderful online event and I am very glad that I participated.
Some Personal Highlights:
  • Cutie Pie is finished with 1st Grade! I can't believe how quickly she is growing up. She did really well this year. Her teacher gave her 7 awards (certificates). She was one of the top readers in her class (She even told me that she reads above a 4th grade reading level). She has been doing excellent in math. And she will be further tested next year to see if she can be placed in the Gifted Program. 

Things I Need to Improve:
  • I'm still behind on writing up my reviews. I have been finding that it is easier for me to write them out on paper first, then type them up and expand on them. But I am still writing up reviews from a couple months ago. I need to try to catch up.

What awesome things happened in your life this month? How many books did you read? Making progress in any challenges? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3