Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Title: Tiger Lily
Author: Jodi Lynn Anderson
Length: 292 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins
Classification: Young Adult, Retelling, Fantasy
Release Date: July 3, 2012
Source: e-book (purchased)
Read: June 2014
Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . . Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell. Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland's inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily. Soon, she is risking everything—her family, her future—to be with him. When she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she's always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter. With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it's the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who's everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart. 


I just LOVE this cover. It is so pretty.

I really enjoyed reading this Peter Pan Retelling. I wasn't really sure what all to expect before I started reading this one, other than seeing several book bloggers tweet and post about how awesome this book is.

I haven't read Peter Pan and my knowledge is comprised from watching Disney's animated movie. I haven't seen any of the other movies.

And I didn't know much about Tiger Lily as a character. And I found it very interesting that this story was a retelling based mostly on Tiger Lily's side of the story rather than reading more about Wendy Darling's side.

The Story:

I found the story itself to be very entertaining and engaging. I became really wrapped up in what I was reading and had a hard time putting the book down.

I found this to be a darker side to the way that I thought the tale of Peter Pan was. This book had some happy moments, but there were also some heartbreaking and sad moments that clenched my heart. I think that it was beautifully written.

I really liked how the author had a lot of the familiar Peter Pan characters in this retelling. I felt they were very well developed and I liked finding out more about these characters. I found that the author did a wonderful job creating back stories that were full of depth and interesting information.

The Characters:

I thought the characters were amazing. I was completely fascinated by the characters and their lives. I couldn't wait to see what happened to them and how they would handle the situations that came.

I loved that the story is told from Tinker Bell's perspective. It made the story feel even more unique and interesting to me. And I loved that it helped me as a reader experience parts of the story that I probably wouldn't have been able to if it was told from Tiger Lily's point of view.
I also loved knowing Tinker Belle's reactions and emotions towards things that happened and the different characters that made appearances in this book.

My Recommendation:

I think anyone that likes to read Retellings or is a fan of Peter Pan should read this book. It is a beautifully written retelling that grabbed my heart (squeezed it some) yet left me satisfied at the end. I highly recommend it!

My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3