Wednesday, July 23, 2014

To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Title: To All The Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Length: 288 pages
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Classification: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance
Release Date: April 15, 2014
Source: e-book 
Read: June 2014
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all. 

This was my first Jenny Han book and I am really glad that I read it.
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was really good. The story was interesting and really had me hooked from the beginning. I read this book pretty much in one sitting. I could not put it down!

The Story:

This story isn't really realistic, but it was still a nice cute read. I liked the premise of the book. It sounded really interesting and unique. I can't think of a book with a story quite like this one.
I was a fan of the "love letter" idea for the story. I think it is great that the character writes a letter to her crush to get all those feelings out, without having to put herself out there.
I am a shy person, so I definitely know the feeling of not wanting to confront a crush. (I definitely wrote about it in a diary instead.) So I found this part to be real.

The letters get mailed out to all of these boys and instantly Lara Jean's life gets a little bit more complicated. Yet these complications seemed to be handled quickly and not with much drama. But I was still interested in finding out what the other boys would say when we got to their letters.

A lot of things happened in this story and it kept me pretty engrossed in wanting to know what was going to be happening next.

But I was left with questions at the end of the story. And I was so happy to realize that there is going to be another book! So I am really looking forward to finding out what comes after the ending of this part of the story.

The Characters:

I liked that Lara Jean was shy and quirky. It made it easier for me to relate with her.

I don't have any sisters, so I don't have the personal connection with the story in that sense, but reading the relationship between these three sisters, really touched me. The relationships felt realistic. It was my favorite character relationships in the story. And their relationship with each other really made me think about my daughters and how happy I am that they have each other. They might fight and get on each other's nerves now, but at least they will (hopefully) be there for each other in the future, when they are older.

I also liked the girls relationship with their father. He is busy with work, but still seems to be able to make time to spend with the girls and are a part of their lives. And I really liked that he was apart of the story. It seems like there are times when I am reading a book where the parents aren't in the story much, so I liked seeing the loving relationship between father and daughters. (And it wasn't a huge part of the story, but I was happy to feel like it was included.)

I had a love-hate feeling towards the boys. There were times where I liked them, then times were I was sure I didn't want her to end up with either of the two boys. There is a love triangle. And I know what side I am on, but I am still really curious to see how it plays out in the next part of the story.

My Recommendation:

If you like contemporary stories that have romance and don't mind a love triangle, then I highly recommend this book. It was a cute, fun, and quick read. It grabbed my attention and made me want to keep reading. And when I finished, all I could think was "I want more".

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3