Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday #20: Ten Confessions


Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Their blog can be found here.

July 8: Top Ten Blogging Confessions 

(More like Blogger and General Bookish Confessions...)



  1. For a while now, I have been looking at all the Pretty Books on NetGalley. Afraid to request any of them because I figured I would be rejected. (I accept that I am new to blogging and just don't have the neccessary stats yet to get several approvals). But the main reason why I didn't request any was because I thought that the REJECTIONS hurt my SCORE. I saw that I should aim to have 80%. So I thought with every rejection my score would go down. Apparently that isn't what happens. So I have decided once I put a dent into my current TBR list, I am going to start requesting some titles from NetGalley. And I am super excited that I recently got approved to read Salt & Storm. 
  2. I signed up for this shortly after creating my NetGalley account, and I am having so much trouble figuring out how to do things. Like I haven't figured out where to update my Blog/Follower Stats. So I haven't requested anything from this site yet. And I am not sure if I will venture to do so any time soon.
  3. I feel like I am TERRIBLE at commenting. I LOVE to visit other blogs and I read so many of the posts, but I don't usually comment. Sometimes it is because I am not sure what all to say, and I am worried that just writi ng "I loved this post" is too generic. Sometimes it is because I read it then have to run to do something else and don't come back to comment. But I really want to try to comment more on other blogs. 
  4. I have more BOOKS then I have been able to read, yet I still buy new books. I own so many books (I have no idea how many) and I have read probably less than half of them so far. But it hasn't kept me from buying more books. 
  5. I absolutely LOVE the smell of books. Books have different smells and sometimes one of the first things I do when I pull books out of a box or out of the bag when I am home is to smell them.
  6. I have several books that I own the physical copies of the books as well as the e-book versions. Mostly due to the fact that I buy them on my Kindle then if I buy the second book as a physical book, then I have to go back and get the first one, even if I already have it on my Kindle. I like having my series either as all physical books or all e-books. I don't like having some physical copies and some e-book copies mixed together when they are a series. (Yes, I know I am weird and picky.)
  7. Having a mix of hardcover books and paperback books that are in the same series does not really bother me. There are times when I think "Yeah, it would probably look better if all of these were either hardback or paperback copies...oh well." But it doesn't irritate me. 
  8. Sometimes I WISH I was okay with writing in my own books. I think the major thing stopping me is simply that the pen will bleed through to the other side. (And ink smearing) If it wasn't for me worrying about that, I would probably be okay with underlining favorite passages in books and making notes in the margins. (I absolutely love my author-annotated books that I have with all the little notes!) And I did this to textbooks that I bought in college without feeling bad about it at all. 
  9. I'm still not really sure how to promote my blog very well. I participate in some memes and link up my reviews. I link to different social sites and comment on other blogs. Sometimes it feels like I am doing what I know to do, but then there are other times when I think to myself, "Is there something else I should be doing?"
  10. I like to have a book or my Kindle with me pretty much any time I leave the house. You never know when you will have time to squeeze in some reading. (Especially if I am not the one driving.) Also, I probably read a lot when there are other things I "should" be doing. Like cleaning the house and sleeping.

10 comments:

  1. My NG score is just over 30 and apparently that's really good (in practice). It says 80 is ideal but rarely anyone has that :D
    I never ever write in books, and try not to eat or drink around them either. I am super sensitive over that and I don't lend them out either. I got one back so battered I said never again.
    As for promotion, Twitter and commenting (with a back link) is often best solution! ;)

    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only lend my books out to really good friends that won't ruin them. I am really hesitant lending them out.
      Thanks for the tip for promotion. I have been using Twitter. But I haven't been commenting back with a back link. I will have to figure out how to do that!
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. We share number 4 and my Net Galley approved to reviewed ratio is sad, yet I can't resist requesting more books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to not request more books. I think the only reason I didn't request many was because I thought it hurt my score. If I always knew it didn't really matter, I would have probably gone crazy with requesting so many books.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Yes to so many of these! I still don't really understand the mystery that is Netgalley and Edelweis. I'm also really bad at commenting, I still buy books even though I have more than I can read, and I have no problem missing paperbacks and hardcovers! Great list!
    Cassi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cassi! Totally agree. I have a bit more understanding of NetGalley, but Edelweiss completely baffles me. Maybe one day I will figure it all out!

      Delete
  4. I gave up on Edelweis. Responses to requests took months. I took a break from netgalley for awhile because I was accepting everything they offered me, sometimes not even my normal genre and my score was terrible. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. Yeah, not accepting everything that was offered would be hard for me. Right now my score is just under the 80%. But that is because I have mostly been doing the "Read Now" options.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I would confess to many of these things, too! I can't stand owning a physical copy of a book in the series and not having the other(s). It feels so incomplete! But I also don't mind owning a mix of hardback and paperback - as long as I have those pretties on my shelf I'm good. Now I'm debating whether or not to keep my ARCs or buy the physical copies when they're out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gah. I typed out my whole reply and it didn't post!
      I will try this again.

      Yay! I am glad that I am not the only one that feels this way about owning a physical copy of a book in a series. My friends and family tend to make fun of me because I hate having a mixture of both ebooks and physical copies. I can't stand it. It really does feel incomplete!
      And I definitely agree about having those pretties on my shelf!
      I don't have too many ARCs, but I know what you mean about this. The few that I have, I am currently keeping, but I do want to get finished copies of the ones that I really liked/loved. Then I might giveaway the ARCs. Or maybe keep them too. I dunno.
      Thank you so much for stopping by! :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3