Thursday, January 15, 2015

Mini Review: The Rule of Three by Eric Walters

Title: The Rule of Three 
(Rule of Three #1)
Author: Eric Walters
Length: 405 pages
Publisher: Farrar, Straus, Giroux Books for Young Readers
Classification: Young Adult, Survival
Release Date: January 21, 2014
Source: Hardback
Read: December 2014-January 2015
One shocking afternoon, computers around the globe shut down in a viral catastrophe. At sixteen-year-old Adam Daley’s high school, the problem first seems to be a typical electrical outage, until students discover that cell phones are down, municipal utilities are failing, and a few computer-free cars like Adam’s are the only vehicles that function. Driving home, Adam encounters a storm tide of anger and fear as the region becomes paralyzed. Soon—as resources dwindle, crises mount, and chaos descends—he will see his suburban neighborhood band together for protection. And Adam will understand that having a police captain for a mother and a retired government spy living next door are not just the facts of his life but the keys to his survival, in The Rule of Three by Eric Walters.


GoodReads |  Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Books-a-Million


I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book, but I am so glad that I decided to read it! I really enjoyed the book a lot. 

While working in the computer lab at school, Adam, and the other students are surprised when the computers all start to power down. The electricity isn't working. And cell phones won't turn on. Students get sent home due to the lack of power and confusion caused by the outage. They all discover that newer vehicles won't power on either, and Adam is thankful for his old car that doesn't have a computer to control it. As the days pass on, and the outage continues, Adam, along with his family, friends, and neighbors must find ways to ensure their survival as chaos happens all around.

There were a lot of things that I really liked about this book:

  • It felt realistic to me. I love that while I was reading, the things that were happening felt real. These are things that I would expect to happen during a crisis. Especially because no one really knows what is happening. Things are in complete chaos. And that fear, confusion, and panic that the character feels, I felt while reading. I also really like that as I read I wasn't thinking "Uh huh, yeah right."
  • I found it all intriguing! I couldn't stop reading. I really wanted to find out what was going to happen next. And I was worried about what would happen to the characters. 
  • I really like all the characters. I found them all to be enjoyable. Adam is the main character and I didn't have any difficulty caring about him and his life. I also think that his character did a great job developing throughout the story. Herb is a interesting character and I can't wait to find out more about him. Even though we learn some, he is still a bit of a mystery. I really like the developing relationship between Adam and Herb. Adam's family is also great. His Mother (The police captain) is strong and caring. And his siblings (one brother and one sister) are a nice addition. I really care what happens to them all. I even care a lot about the other characters we meet in the story.
  • Page-turning action and adventure. So much happens in this book! There is a lot of action and some of it was heart-pounding. I couldn't wait to find out the outcome.
I really enjoyed reading about Adam's world as it falls deeper into confusion and chaos. 
I don't think it ends much on a cliffhanger, though there things left unresolved. For me, it was enough to make me eager to read the next book.

My Recommendation:
If you enjoy reading books where the world is falling apart and you left wondering what is happening, then you should give this one a read. I found it realistic and interesting. I loved the action and reading about characters learning to adapt and survive in their new reality.

Would I Buy This Book?
I did buy this book, and I don't regret doing so. 


My Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3