Monday, February 8, 2016

The Princess in Black by Shannon Hale & Dean Hale

Title: The Princess in Black
(The Princess in Black #1)
Author: Shannon Hale & Dean Hale
Illustrator: LeUyen Pham 
Length: 90 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Inc. 
(Originally published by Candlewick Press)
Classification: Children's Book, Fantasy, Adventure
Release Date: Scholastic Printing- September 2015
Candlewick Press-  October 14, 2014
Source: paperback
Who says princesses don’t wear black? When trouble raises its blue monster head, Princess Magnolia ditches her flouncy dresses and becomes the Princess in Black!
Princess Magnolia is having hot chocolate and scones with Duchess Wigtower when . . . Brring! Brring! The monster alarm! A big blue monster is threatening the goats! Stopping monsters is no job for dainty Princess Magnolia. But luckily Princess Magnolia has a secret —she’s also the Princess in Black, and stopping monsters is the perfect job for her! Can the princess sneak away, transform into her alter ego, and defeat the monster before the nosy duchess discovers her secret? From award-winning writing team of Shannon and Dean Hale and illustrator LeUyen Pham, here is the first in a humorous and action-packed chapter book series for young readers who like their princesses not only prim and perfect, but also dressed in black.

Thoughts:


What is this book about?

Cutie Pie #1: It was about a Princess who dresses in black and fights monsters. And the Duchess tried to find out her secret.

Cutie Pie #2: The girl was trying out her secret. The horse has a secret too.

What was your favorite part of the story?

Cutie Pie: When the Princess in Black was fighting the monsters

Cutie Pie #2: The unicorn!

Why did you like it?

Cutie Pie: Because it was really cool.

Cutie Pie #2: Because he is so pretty. 

Is there anything you didn't like about this book?

Cutie Pie: Well, I didn't like it when the monsters were going to eat toenails. Because that is gross.

Cutie Pie #2: I liked all of it.

Do you like the illustrations?

Cutie Pie: Yes, they were nice. And pretty.

Cutie Pie #2: Yes.

Who do you think will like this book?

Cutie Pie: People who like princesses and cool things.

Cutie Pie #2: Grandma and Pah-Pah. 


Rating:



My Thoughts:

I think this is a pretty cute story.  I really enjoyed reading this story with my girls. They kept laughing and smiling.
Princess Magnolia is not your average princess. When trouble arises, she transforms into The Princess in Black. As her secret alter ego, she confronts and fights the monsters that endanger the kingdom. I think it is fun to have Princess Magnolia as The Princess in Black. She is kind of like a superhero with her alter ego. She is tough and fun.  I really like that she can be both a pink-frilly princess and a tough girl. The girls also found the Duchess Wigtower scenes to be funny, since she is trying to find out what the princess is hiding.
I loved the illustrations. I think they really fit in with the story well and my girls loved looking at these pictures.

I enjoyed reading this book with my daughters very much. They loved the action and adventure and couldn't stop laughing. I think this series will become a favorite in our house. We are looking forward to reading the next books to see what happens! I definitely recommend giving The Princess in Black as read!

My Rating:

1 comment:

  1. It looks like a great book for children. I was actually looking for a present for my little sister. As she loves reading I'll definitely find this book for her.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3