Sunday, June 12, 2016

The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt & Illustrated by Oliver Jeffers


My Bookish Itinerary Cutie Pie's Shelf Children's Book Reviews


Title: The Day the Crayons Quit

Author: Drew Daywalt
Illustrator: Oliver Jeffers
Length: 36 pages
Publisher: Philomel Books
Classification: Children's Book
Release Date: June 27, 2013
Source: Library Book
Poor Duncan just wants to color. But when he opens his box of crayons, he finds only letters, all saying the same thing: We quit!
Beige is tired of playing second fiddle to Brown. Blue needs a break from coloring all that water, while Pink just wants to be used. Green has no complaints, but Orange and Yellow are no longer speaking to each other. 
What is Duncan to do? Debut author Drew Daywalt and New York Times bestseller Oliver Jeffers create a colorful solution in this playful, imaginative story that will have children laughing and playing with their crayons in a whole new way.


Cutie Pie is 9 years old & Cutie Pie #2 is 5 years old


First Thoughts:

Cutie Pie: I think that the book is really great and kind of cute.

Cutie Pie #2: I really like the purple color.

What is this book about?

Cutie Pie #1: It is about how all the crayons (well pretty much all the crayons) have a problem with how Duncan is using them.

Cutie Pie #2: It is about the crayons that wrote notes.

What was your favorite part of the story?

Cutie Pie: Probably pink crayon's part.

Cutie Pie #2: When the yellow and the orange were fighting.

Why did you like it?

Cutie Pie: Because it is my favorite color.

Cutie Pie #2: Because they both think they are the color of the sun.

Is there anything you didn't like about this book?

Cutie Pie: I think it was all good.

Cutie Pie #2: I like all of it.

Do you like the illustrations?

Cutie Pie: I think the pictures were great because it included what the crayons could be used for.

Cutie Pie #2: I like all of them.

Who do you think will like this book?

Cutie Pie: I think everybody.

Cutie Pie #2: Everybody that we know.


Rating:

Cutie Pie:

Cutie Pie #2



I had seen quite a bit about this book on Twitter & Goodreads, so when I saw it at the library, I knew I needed to check it out for us to read. Overall, I think this is a pretty cute story and it was funny at times.
I really liked the illustrations for this book. They were awesome and did a great job at showing the story. Both girls really enjoyed reading this story. They laughed a lot. I think the idea of having the crayons write letters to Duncan was fun. I also like the message of the story that the crayons are tired of being used for the same things all the time. So Duncan decides to create a picture that uses all the colors in different and new ways. Which shows creativity. This story is entertaining and I think both younger and older children (Elementary School aged) will enjoy reading this story.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3