Sunday, June 5, 2016

When Spring Comes by Kevin Henkes & Illustrated by Laura Dronzek

My Bookish Itinerary Cutie Pie's Shelf Children's Book Reviews
Title: When Spring Comes
Author: Kevin Henkes
Illustrator: Laura Dronzek
Length: 40 pages
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Classification: Children's Book
Release Date: February 9, 2016
Source: Library Book
The award-winning, bestselling husband-and-wife team of Kevin Henkes and Laura Dronzek collaborate for the first time since their acclaimed picture book Birds. Before spring comes, the trees are dark sticks, the grass is brown, and the ground is covered in snow. But if you wait, leaves unfurl and flowers blossom, the grass turns green, and the mounds of snow shrink and shrink. Spring brings baby birds, sprouting seeds, rain and mud, and puddles. You can feel it and smell it and hear it—and you can read it!
Kevin Henkes uses striking imagery, repetition, and alliteration to introduce basic concepts of language and the changing of the seasons. And Laura Dronzek’s gorgeous, lush paintings show the transformation from quiet, cold winter to the joyful newborn spring. Watch the world transform when spring comes!
Cutie Pie is 9 years old & Cutie Pie #2 is 5 years old


First Thoughts:

Cutie Pie: I think it teaches children to be patient and that you need to wait if you want something to come.

Cutie Pie #2: I love it! It was cute.

What is this book about?

Cutie Pie #1: It was about Spring time.

Cutie Pie #2: Spring time!

What was your favorite part of the story?

Cutie Pie: I don't really have a favorite. 

Cutie Pie #2: That it was about Spring.

Why did you like it?

Cutie Pie: I liked the whole book.

Cutie Pie #2: Because the flowers grow.

Is there anything you didn't like about this book?

Cutie Pie: No.

Cutie Pie #2: I like all of it. 

Do you like the illustrations?

Cutie Pie: I think they did a really good job showing the story. 

Cutie Pie #2: I love the pictures.

Who do you think will like this book?

Cutie Pie: Maybe little kids.

Cutie Pie #2: All the children.


Rating:

Cutie Pie:

Cutie Pie #2

When Spring Comes is a really cute story. My favorite thing about this book are the illustrations. In fact that is the biggest reason I picked it out from the library, the cover instantly grabbed my attention. The illustrations are so lovely and beautiful. I also love the message about waiting. I love that it shows how things look in winter, but if you wait long enough the trees will get leaves, and flowers will bloom. I think it is a great story to use to show kids about patience. That when you wait, good things will come. This is also a wonderful book to read when teaching about Seasons. We really enjoyed reading this book. I think some older kids may enjoy this story, but it is a great book to read with younger kids.

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3