Sunday, November 13, 2016

Sparky! by Jenny Offill and Illustrated by Chris Appelhans

My Bookish Itinerary: Cutie Pie's Shelf Children's Book Review


Title: Sparky!

Author: Jenny Offill
Illustrator: Chris Appelhans
Length: 32 pages
Publisher: Schwartz & Wade Books
Classification: Children's Book
Release Date: March 11, 2014
Source: Library Books
The ingenious author of 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore and a brilliant illustrator and production designer of the Coraline movie have created a hilarious, touching picture book perfect for young animal lovers. Like the Caldecott Medal-winning Officer Buckle and Gloria, Sparky stars a pet who has more to offer than meets the eye. When our narrator orders a sloth through the mail, the creature that arrives isn't good at tricks or hide-and-seek . . . or much of anything. Still, there's something about Sparky that is irresistible.




Cutie Pie is 9 years old & Cutie Pie #2 is 5 years old


First Thoughts:

Cutie Pie: That made me sleepy.

Cutie Pie #2: I loved it!

What is this book about?

Cutie Pie #1: It is about a girl who wants a sloth for a pet.

Cutie Pie #2: A sloth.

What was your favorite part of the story?

Cutie Pie: The end.

Cutie Pie #2: I really liked the end.

Why did you like it?

Cutie Pie: Because it was fun and cute.

Cutie Pie #2: Because I like playing Tag.

Is there anything you didn't like about this book?

Cutie Pie: No, I liked it all.

Cutie Pie #2: I liked all of it.

Do you like the illustrations?

Cutie Pie: I really liked them, they look very good.

Cutie Pie #2: Yes.

Who do you think will like this book?

Cutie Pie: Little kids.

Cutie Pie #2: Everybody!


Rating:

Cutie Pie:


Cutie Pie #2


I loved reading this story! Sparky! is an adorable story. In this story, our narrator is a young girl who really wants a pet. She keeps asking her mother about various different pets, but she continues to be told the same answer "No.". Until one day, her mother says that she can have a pet if it doesn't need to be feed, walked, or bathed. After doing some research, she finds the perfect pet, a sloth.
I think that Sparky! is a wonderful book to read with children. We had so much fun reading it. I think this is a great book to read with children to teach them more about sloths. It is a fun and entertaining story. The illustrations are lovely. I definitely recommend giving this one a read!


My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3