Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday #104: My 2018 Bookish Goals

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in 2010. As of January 2018, Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl.


January 16: Bookish Resolutions/Goals

I didn't do too well with my Bookish and Blogging Goals of 2017, so hopefully I will have a better year this year.

My 2018 Bookish Goals

1. Read at least 75 Books! Last year my overall goal was 100 books. Then when I realized I wasn't going to reach that I lowered my goal to 75. I usually don't count the Children's Picture Books I read towards my reading goal, so if I don't count those I finished the year at 67 books read. If I count the Children's Picture Books I read with my girls for us to review together then I would have finished the year with about 78 books read. I do question my decision to not count these books for my yearly reading goal, since I do read them to my girls and review most of them, but since they are so short I almost feel like I am cheating, which is the reason why I haven't included them in my count. Maybe I should, though. Anyone have any thoughts? Do you count picture books for your Goodreads goals?

2. Read at least 10 Retellings. I love reading Retellings, I even want to read all of the ones on the Epic Reads' YA Retellings List they created years ago. I'm not even close to reading all of them yet. So I really want to try and read at least 10 retellings this year.

3. Read 1 Trilogy/Series a Month. I used to do this a lot and would even share what I read on My Latest Binge feature, but I haven't done it in a while. I miss doing it though, which is why I hope to do it every month again this year.

4. Read Mostly Books I Already Own. I have so many books on my shelves and stacked up around my house that I just had to have, but haven't read them yet. So this year I want to focus on reading those books.

5. Finish Reading Trilogies I Started But Didn't Finish. I have done this a lot. I started reading a trilogy, like the first two books, but didn't ever get to book three. Two examples of this are His Fair Assassin by Robin LaFevers and Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor. So hopefully this year I can finally read the final books in some of these trilogies I never did finish.

6. Reread Harry Potter. I love the Harry Potter books and I have even reread some of them before, but I haven't done it in several years. So this year I want to reread the series. 

7. Keep Up With My Book Reviews. I did horrible last year with writing my book reviews and actually posting them. I have notes and partial reviews written for so many of the books I read but then never typed them up and posted them on my blog or Goodreads. So this year I want to go back and type some of them up and post them, plus keep up with the ones I write for this year.

8. Take More Bookish Pictures For Instagram. I really love taking pictures. I do it a lot. Especially when we are on vacation or visiting with family. But I also really enjoy taking bookish pictures too. I am okay with my pictures not being as beautiful as those that are on Bookstagram. But this year I want to take more and post more often on Instagram. I also want to take a bookish picture for every book I read this year. So hopefully I will be able to do this goal. 

9. Go Through My Books and Get Rid Of/Trade/Donate Books I No Longer Want. I have so many books that I have bought, won, or been given over the years and I'm sure there are some on those shelves that I have either lost interest in or never plan to reread that I can do something else with to make more room on my shelves for new books.

10. Go Through and Organize My Goodreads Shelves. I haven't been keeping up with organizing my Goodreads shelves. I even bet there are some books on my Wishlist Shelf that I have already bought, so this year I want to go through my shelves are reorganize them. I also want to go through my TBR shelf and remove the books that I am no longer interested in reading. 

These are my top Bookish Goals for 2018. I really hope that I am able to reach all of them this year. What are your Bookish Goals/Resolutions for the new year?

4 comments:

  1. I'm re-reading Harry Potter right now, too! I read all the books as they came out, so it's definitely time to revisit them. They're just as good now as they were then :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I am really excited about rereading them, I have been thinking about it for a couple of years but kept putting it off. I'm glad you're enjoying them as much now as you did then! :D

      Delete
  2. I think 75 books for the year is totally doable. I set my goal at 70 last year. I didn't quite reach that goal (I ended the year with 69 completed), so I set it at 70 again this year.

    As for picture books ... I don't really know. If I were going to count them toward my total, I'd probably just count the ones I reviewed since that obviously requires more of a time commitment and more thought. Otherwise, I'd probably just count books that have a minimum of 150 pages or so. (I think that would probably encompass most novellas.) I'm clearly just thinking aloud here. :-)

    I love book-related pictures on Instagram! I try to remember to take some from time to time, but, like you said, mine are not as beautiful as some. Haha. I like the idea of taking a picture of every book you read this year! I've actually kind of started doing that as well (without really meaning to). Maybe I'll try to keep it up.

    Good luck with your goals! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input on the picture books question. That is how I feel too. Over the years I haven't really counted any of the picture books in my goal, and only counted the chapter books and middle grade ones. So I think that is what I will continue to do. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on it. It is something I've thought about a few times over the past couple of years.
      Book-related pictures on Instagram are so fun to look at. There are so many beautiful ones. I haven't started taking any pictures yet, but I do hope I'll be able to keep up with it.
      Thank you! :D

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and leave a comment! I read every single one and they make my day! <3